The Write Room Cafe

The Write Room Cafe
Kevin Lynn Helmick

Friday, November 30, 2012

This Fuckin Western

Okay, so here's the deal, writing can hard and writing can be easy. Somewhat easy anyway when you're having fun at it. I've flapped my mouth before about work ethic, not waiting for the muse, but power through, get it done, so on so on. But there comes a time sometimes when you have to say fuck it, this isn't working. I'm probably way past that, just to stubborn to admit it, till now.

But I made a decision today that was not an easy one. I have decided to shit can some 30.000 words of a novel I've been working on. Or not working on. At least for the time being. There's some good writing in there so I saved a draft to nag at me like a missed opportunity or maybe come back to it later. But I'm done beating my head against the wall on this thing.

It's a fuckin western, 1st problem. I'm more of a contemporary writer, so I've discovered. Although I love western movies and reading westerns, I've found out, I don't much like writing them. To much research. guns, horses, etc etc. So fucking boring. I hate research. And the conflicts, again, boring, and over used. All the character attributes seem cliche and one dimensional. The setting, shit, I have no idea what existed in 1899 Oklahoma, as far as towns, roads, technology. Again, research, Ughhh! Not interested.
That pretty much covers problems 2, 3, 4, 5. And that's more than enough for me.

I have never felt so disconnected with a story and it's characters as I have this one, this, fuckin western.

So, I felt it was time to put it aside and work on something that's been developing in mind like a movie. The way it should be. A cast, a beginning a middle and an end, although distant, misty and flexible, it'll come unto it'self as I go. It's there, all there, all I have to do is type it out. It's something I think will be dark, yet humorous, sexy, but classy, sleek but gritty. And best of all...It'll be fun, can't wait to get started. And that's how I've felt about all the books I've written up to this, fuckin western.

Hell I'm even thinking about it while I'm writing this, fucking western, so it must be right.

Right?

I don't even know why I'm sharing this, outside of venting and maybe seeking some closure and validation. I mean I've written 60.000 word drafts in 12 weeks before. I've been working on, and, ignoring this project for almost three times that long. It's become ridiculous. This fuckin western.

I don't know. New territory for me.

So how about a question? What do you think?

Have any of you readers ever picked up a copy of something from a favorite author and thought, 'what the hell is this? This is a genre my writer shouldn't be writing in.'

And this probably a stupid question but,

Have any of you writers had a hard time putting aside a considerable amount of writing and moving on, or did you power through, finish it, then move on? Ever had your own, fuckin western?

I think the thing that was bothering more than anything is that I have developed a body of work with a certain feel, certain voice, although sometimes rural, sometimes urban, I think it's identifiable as mine, and this book I was writing was not me, wasn't fitting in. Not with me, my personality, or with any of my other work.

So what do you think...readers and writers, should a writer push himself to explore new frontiers even if he doesn't want to?

There's a part of me, the working man, that feels I should. There's also a part of me, the artist, that says, fuck that. If it ain't fun, don't do it.

I ain't writin no fuckin western.



2 comments:

  1. Off the top of my head, I don't think I have ever run across a book by a favorite author of mine that made me think he should not have even tried this. I have read things that were good, but not up-to-snuff, the author just mailing it in. As for your other question, I think there is value in trying something you are unfamiliar with, simply to clear the clutter from the areas that you most often harvest. 30,000 words may be excessive though on this point. There is no reason on earth you should torture yourself with producing something that does not feel right at the time (or ever). Keep a copy, maybe you will come back to it, maybe not. I am constantly playing around with ideas (and throwing them away). As a novice, I am still seeking not so much a voice, but a story. You have an intense voice, and you have stories that want to get out...use those, they are part of you. There is nothing at all wrong with an easy birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Teever, thanks for that. There are moments in nearly every story or book, mostly books, that I need to pull the story out here and there. Snags, all it is and no big deal. More often than not the story's pulling me along and I'm just trying to keep up, and that's when I'm most comfortable and happy and productive.

    I don't have a lot of unfinished stuff. I almost always finsh what I start, so that's why this was tough for me. I was at place in the story where I knew I'd need at least another 20.000 to finish and I didn't think it would be worth it.

    I started something new and closer to home this weekend and I'm already having fun again. I still plan to write a western someday, just not now and not that one.



    ReplyDelete